Opened since january 2011 and renewed in 2016 and 2021 , CarMeN laboratory – INSERM
U1060 / INRA U1235 / Lyon 1 University is a biomedical research laboratory in the field of cardiovascular diseases, metabolism, diabetes and nutrition. These diseases share common pathophysiological determinants related to the environment, lifestyle and population ageing. The main objective of CarMeN lab is to improve our understanding of these important diseases and to develop new treatments and preventive strategies for a better care of the patients.
CarMeN lab is a center of excellence which gathered the major research forces in these fields in Lyon. Gathering almost 160 persons, including basic scientists and medical practitioners to strengthen the interactions between cognitive research and biomedical and clinical research, and operating state of the art clinical research facilities (CRNH-RA and CIC) and technological platforms (genomics, lipidomics, imaging), CarMeN lab provides an unique environment to conduct translational research.
CarMeN lab is certified ISO 9001-2008 since July 2013 for the realization of research projects and the teaching and training of students.
CarMeN lab is member of the Thematic Multi-Organization Institute « Physiopathology, Metabolism, Nutrition »
CarMeN is currently composed of 3 research teams, gathering 160 people (15 INSERM, INRA or CRNS researchers, 44 professors and associate professors, 18 clinicans, 27 research engineers, technicians and administrative, and about 60 studiants (Masters, PhD and post-docs).
- Diabetes and Human Nutrition (Teams 1 et 2) in the CENS building located in the Lyon-Sud Hospital Centre in Pierre Bénite
- Team 1: DO-IT, Head: Marie Caroline MICHALSKI (INRAE)
- Team 2: MERISM, Head : Jennifer RIEUSSET (INSERM)
- Ischemia-ReperfusIon Syndromes (IRIS)(Team 3) in the Louis Pradel Hospital Centre (Lyon-Est Hospital Centre)
- Team 3: IRIS, Head : Gabriel BIDAUX ( INSERM)
Local academic partners
– The Clinical Investigation Center (CIC) of Lyon Hospital coordinated by Pr Nathan MEWTON (Team 3) and located at Lyon-Est Louis Pradel Hospital.
– The Hospices Civls de Lyon (HCL) with the participation of 49 HCL members (academic and hospital practitioners) to the activity of CarMeN from 20 different clinical and biological departments of Lyon Hospital.
– The “CERMEP – in vivo imaging” center from Lyon University